Do I need asbestos removed professionally?
One of the most frequently asked questions we receive from clients concerned with asbestos in their home or building is, “can I remove asbestos myself?”
Here are ten reasons why you should never remove asbestos on your own:
- Asbestos surveyors are “trained professionals” and know where to look for harmful asbestos.
- If you have asbestos in your home or building, trained asbestos surveyors can help you determine whether having asbestos is actually “harmful” to inhabitants,
- When you try and remove asbestos on your own, you can potentially disturb or damage the asbestos and release harmful asbestos fibers into the air, creating a risk to your structure’s inhabitants,
- There is no safe level of exposure to asbestos and inhaling even a few asbestos fibers can cause asbestosis, mesothelioma, and other cancers.
- Local, state or federal regulations may make the removal illegal and fines associated with asbestos can be hefty.
- Handling asbestos is extremely dangerous and needs to be disposed of using asbestos waste disposal bags. Transferring waste requires manifests.
- In order to remove asbestos, you need to wear proper protective clothing. This clothing also needs to be disposed of within the containment area. If you fail to remove the protective clothing within the sealed area, you risk spreading asbestos fibers.
- When you remove asbestos on your own, you have no way of determining whether or not you have completely removed the asbestos from your structure,
- After asbestos has been removed from your structure, the structure needs detailed cleaning to ensure no asbestos fibers have been left behind,
- Removing asbestos without the assistance of a trained professional can leave you at risk of potential lawsuits in the future, in the event you did not remove the asbestos completely.
Asbestos is inherently dangerous and should only be handled by a trained professional. By removing asbestos, you not only risk your own health, but the health of your building’s inhabitants. Having your home or building inspected by an asbestos professional is the only way to determine whether or not the asbestos poses a risk to the structure’s inhabitants and whether or not the asbestos even requires removal.
If you believe your home or building contains harmful asbestos, you should contact an experienced, licensed and professional environmental consultant to perform a site survey, like the technicians at Rarefied Air Environmental. We can survey your structure for asbestos in accordance with your city or state’s legal requirements and even perform the survey the same day. Contact us today for a quote!